Friday, December 21, 2007

My first challenge.

Well, when i received the challenge i have to admit i was a little disappointed. I was hoping that it would be a fruit cake. Something that i wanted to try but cant seem to find the time to make my own. I have never seen a yule log as it is not a tradition that has ever been mentioned in our family. But i was up for the challenge.

I built my mushrooms first and then i procrastinated for the cake itself so my mushrooms sat out on the counter for a week while i baked cookies and squares around them. My husband has been more interested in baking this christmas than i have an i cant seem to keep him away from my kitchen-aid long enough to use it myself.




I have been putting it off so long that i planned to do it today, friday the 21st. So i got up this morning at 5:45 so i could hit wal-mart, finish the christmas shopping and get the last few supplies for the cake. As i hit the last stair going out of my house, i stepped on something the dog dragged up and fell, spraining my ankle. Serves me right for procratinating on the whole thing. So i dragged my butt back into the house and after a couple hours and a threat that he would phone my mother.. i went to the doctor for x-rays. Everything was fine and i was prescribed ice and advil. So i came home and rested.


Every time i thought about starting my cake my husband, again, had the kitchen-aid busy doing something, or he was doing dishes. When he went outside i jumped at the chance and started the cake.


It went really smoothly. I didn't think that i would be good at doing it. I did overbake my cake and it cracked in rolling. I didn't have parchment paper so i baked it right on the pan and it stuck a bit when i took it off. I used a technique i learned in home ed about the rolling and just used a clean, dry dish towel and it turned out lovely.






I had refrigerated the leftover buttercream and so it was difficult to spread. I am use to making the cake decorating buttercream so it was a bit of a challenge to work with something that you are not use to doing. But that is what the challenges are for.







I am looking forward to the next challenge. This time i promise not to wait till the day before posting to do it.






Sandra K.

(rookie daring baker)

26 comments:

Lis said...

Holy cow Sandra - You ARE a Daring Baker! To get up and bake the cake after you sprained your ankel?! Now that's the DB spirit! hee! I hope it's feeling better!

You log is adorable and I love the snowy white mushrooms! Way to go!

xoxo

Phoenix Ascending said...

Super cute log. Congrats completing your first DB challenge!

marias23 said...

Hey rookie! You did a wonderful job on your first DB challenge! I also waited till Friday, the 21st to make the log after work. It didn't go so smoothly but in the end, I made it! :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

What a pretty package...with the bow and all! Hope your foot is feeling better. Merry Christmas!

Hilda said...

Good job daring to bake the yule log, You are a Daring Baker now. And you did it as an invalid, kudos to you. Happy Holidays!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Love the shining white mushrooms, congrats on a job well done (sprained ankle and all!)

Cheryl said...

Great job and welcome to the group. I love the bow on the log. I hope you ankle is getting better.

creampuff said...

Congratulations on completing your first challenge! I know well the stress of leaving it to challenge day but don't worry ... it gets better! Happy Holidays!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

Congratulations on your first challenge!! Great job :)

Lunch Buckets said...

Congratulations from another first-timer!

Jenny said...

Your log turned out great! And those mushrooms are adorable. This was my first challenge as well! We'll see what next month brings!

jenny said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB challenge! (My first time too.) And with a shonked foot and all... Ouch! Hope you're better soon and happy Christmas :-)

Anonymous said...

Grats on completing your first challenge! Great job done too =)
Merry Christmas~

Julius said...

Congrats on your gorgeous bûche de Noël. :)

Happy Holidays!

Julius from Occasional Baker

Fruit tart said...

Great job finishing the challenge while injured!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Congratulations! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

Deborah said...

Great job on your first challenge!!

Julius said...

Welcome to blogging and Daring Bakers Sandra!

I love your yule log.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Helene said...

Fighting my husband for the KA is not something you will see at my house...I think he might even be afraid of it! I am impressed you went on with the cake and that bad ankle. True DB spirit!! Everything turned out pretty great in the end!!

Jen Yu said...

You poor thing, I hope your ankle is better. Your yule log looks great and you should consider yourself a rookie no longer! Welcome to the DBers :)

jen at use real butter

Wendy said...

Glad your ankle is okay and that you were able to bake the Yule Log. It looks cute and the mushrooms are so cute and glossy. wendy

Jenny said...

Good for you for sneaking in to use your own KA! I hope you ankle is feeling better and congratulate you on your first DB challenge.

Big Boys Oven said...

looks so cute and adorable!

Restaurant Brugge said...

super post

information technology said...

nice post

property in jaipur said...

thanx for sharing this post